January 30, 2016

Vietnamese Iced Coffee Recipe



I love coffee; we all know this. Sometimes it’s way too hot and humid for a long black though. That’s when I go back to my roots and make a cà phê đá, also known as a Vietnamese iced coffee. The coffee is traditionally made using a phin: a small metal filter pot that sits on top of your glass. It’s slow. I’m usually already grumpy when it’s too hot and watching it brew drip by drip drives me nuts.

Like a lot of Asian foods, everybody has their own way of making it. This is mine. Whenever I make a glass, I use four shots of espresso, as in the instructions below. You can make it any way you like – using an espresso machine, a stovetop brewer, whatever takes your fancy. For Vietnamese iced coffee, the darker the roast, the better.

It's a simple drink with only three components. Keep in mind that this is a loose guideline. Obviously I don’t weigh everything every time I feel like a cold coffee. Make it once and then adjust to your own tastes. I like mine a little stronger so I don’t add much condensed milk. Happy brewing!

Vietnamese Iced Coffee (Cà phê đá)
Serves 1 (580mL glass)
  • 35g condensed milk
  • 255g crushed ice
  • 120g brewed coffee
  1. Add the condensed milk to your glass, followed by the ice.
  2. Brew your coffee, then pour it into the glass. Agitate as you drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment